The Hope Highway junctions with the Seward Highway about 70 miles south of Anchorage, leading 16.5 miles to the historic community of Hope on the south side of Turnagain Arm, and ending 17.8 miles northwest of the Seward Highway at Porcupine USFS Campground. This is a good 2-lane paved road with a posted speed limit of 50 mph and some 35-mph curves. Hope makes a good 1- or 2-day trip from Anchorage. Just make sure you top off your gas tank at Essential One at Mile S 100.8 Seward Highway or at the gas station at Girdwood Junction, or call Pioneer Liquor & Gas in Hope to see if they are open (907/782-3418).
Scenic highlights along this road include: views of Turnagain Arm; the picturesque town of Hope; the spectacular high country off Palmer Creek Road; and Resurrection Pass Trail. Angle 45 Adventures and Nova Riverrunners have operations along the Hope Highway, and offer various wilderness trips.
The MILEPOST® Quick Reference Log
Miles from junction with the Seward Highway (J) shown.
- J 0 Junction with Seward Highway, 71 miles south of Anchorage.
- J 0.1 Rest area with outhouse, parking and access to Canyon Creek pedestrian bridge. River runner departure point for Six Mile Creek trips with Nova. CAUTION: Class IV and V rapids; consult with local river runner outfitters.
- J 0.2 Silvertip highway maintenance station. Emergency phone.
- J 8.1 Angle 45 Adventures (guided fishing, cabin rentals).
- J 15.8 Alaska Dacha; grocery, laundry, showers, cabins, motels and RV park.
- J 15.9 Lodge.
- J 16 Bear Creek.
- J 16.2 Junction with Resurrection Creek Road. Turnoff to south for Hope School. Take first left on Nearhouse Lane, then right on Discovery Drive for Discovery Cabins (lodging). Resurrection Creek Road leads to Hope airport (1.1 miles) and the USFS trailhead (4 miles) for the 38-mile-long Resurrection Pass North Trailhead. Palmer Creek Road (0.6 mile south of Hope Highway) provides access to Coeur d’Alene USFS Campground (7 miles); winding gravel, not recommended for RVs or vehicles with trailers.
- J 16.5 First turnoff northbound for HOPE via gravel loop road.
- J 16.9 Second turnoff northbound for Hope via dirt loop road; cafe, bar, campground.
- J 17 Resurrection Creek bridge.
- J 17.7 Pioneer Liquor & Gas, call ahead to see if they have gas; (907) 242-0204.
- J 17.8 Hope Highway ends at Porcupine USFS Campground. Trailhead parking for the 5-mile Gull Rock Trail.