Connects: Haines, AK, to Haines Junction, YT
Route#: BC 4, Yukon 3, Alaska Route 7
Length: 146 miles
Road Surface: Paved
Season: Open all year
Highest Pass: Haines Highway Summit, elev. 3,510 feet
Map (1 detailed pdf file available):
Haines, AK to Haines Junction, YT
The Haines Highway connects Haines, AK, at the head of Lynn Canal, with Haines Junction, YT, on the Alaska Highway. The highway, open year-round and usually snow-free by May, is a good, 2-lane paved highway that was designated a "National Scenic Byway" in 2009. Allow about 4 hours driving time. Noted for its grand views of glaciated mountains and the variety of its scenery—from coastal forests to alpine tundra—the Haines Highway winds through the Chilkat River flats outside Haines before beginning a long climb up to the summit, where it meanders through a wide alpine valley before descending to Haines Junction via a series of long, easy grades.
The MILEPOST® Quick Reference Log
Miles from Haines (H) shown.
- H 0 HAINES; all services.
- H 0.9 Eagle’s Nest Motel.
- H 21.5 Klukwan. Klukwan Cultural Center and Hospitality House.
- H 27.2 Mosquito Lake State Recreation Site; camping.
- H 33.1 33 Mile Roadhouse; food, gas.
- H 40.2 Dalton Cache U.S. Customs and Border Protection; open 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. daily (Alaska time), year-round.
- H 40.4 U.S.–Canada international border; Alaska–British Columbia border.
- H 40.6 Pleasant Camp Canada Customs and Immigration office; open 8 a.m. to midnight daily (Pacific time) year-round.
- H 85.2 BC–YT border.
- H 93.5 Yukon government Million Dollar Falls Campground.
- H 108.1 Klukshu Indian Village. Klukshu Craft Store and Museum offers a Native crafts, homemade jams and jellies, smoked salmon and soapberries. The museum features First Nation artifacts from this area.
- H 130.2 Kathleen Lake Campground, Kluane National Park.
- H 130.5 Kathleen Cabins at Kathleen Lake Lodge; motel, cafe, groceries, showers.
- H 146.2 HAINES JUNCTION; all services.