The Cassiar Highway junctions with Yellowhead Highway 16 at Milepost PG 297.7, Skeena River bridge, and travels north to junction with the Alaska Highway at Milepost DC 626.2, 13.3 miles/21.4 km west of Watson Lake, YT. The Cassiar Highway offers outstanding scenery and good wildlife viewing. Driving the Cassiar Highway instead of the entire Alaska Highway saves about 130 miles/210 km.
The Cassiar provides access to Hyder, AK, and Stewart, BC, via the 40-mile/64-km Stewart-Hyder access road (Highway 37A) from Meziadin Junction at Milepost J 97.5. The Cassiar also provides access to Telegraph Creek via a 70-mile/113-km side road from Dease Lake junction at Milepost J 303.9.
The Cassiar Highway was completed in 1972, and is asphalt-surfaced with the exception of a few short gravel breaks. The highway is generally narrow and winding with some straight stretches. Although not particularly hilly, there are a few 8 percent grades. There are no passing lanes—beyond one in the first few miles of the highway—and there is no centerline along long sections of highway. Drive with your headlights on at all times.
Also watch for logging and freight trucks on the highway.
The MILEPOST® Quick Reference Log
Miles from Yellowhead Highway junction (J) shown.
- J 0 Junction with the Yellowhead Highway; gas station.
- J 2.7 Access road to KITWANGA (pop. 481); gas station.
- J 96.7 Meziadin Lake Provincial Park; camping.
- J 97.5 Meziadin Junction. Junction with BC Highway 37A west to STEWART, BC (pop. 699) and HYDER, AK (pop. 100); all services. Visitor information and Stewart-Cassiar. Lodging and dining at The Ripley Creek Inn, The Brothel, the Bayview Hotel and Bitter Creek Cafe, and at the King Edward Hotel & Motel. Camping at Bear River RV Park. Souvenirs and groceries at Hyder General Store. Attractions: Historic buildings, Fish Creek bear viewing, Salmon Glacier.
- J 155 Bell 2 Lodge; food, lodging, camping, propane, gas, diesel and pay phone.
- J 227.1 Kinaskan Provincial Park: camping.
- J 252.5 ISKUT (pop. 283); grocery, gas, diesel.
- J 254.1 Mountain Shadow RV Park & Campground.
- J 298.1 Dease Lake Lions Tanzilla River Campground.
- J 303.5 Northern Bear Gifts & Souvenirs, visitor information.
- J 303.9 DEASE LAKE (pop. 450); all services. Lodging at Northway Motor Inn. Junction with Telegraph Creek Road (winding, gravel, steep in spots), which leads 70 miles west to historic TELEGRAPH CREEK on the Stikine River; food, lodging, gas in Telegraph Creek.
- J 310 Water’s Edge Campground.
- J 374.9 JADE CITY (pop. 50); Cassiar Mountain Jade Store.
- J 389.5 GOOD HOPE LAKE (pop. 75); gas (can be inconsistent), store.
- J 397.2 Boya Lake Provincial Park: camping.
- J 450.1 Junction with Alaska Highway. Junction 37 Services (email); camping, gas, diesel, propane.