Whitehorse is located at Historic Milepost 918 on the Alaska Highway, 100 miles southeast of Haines Junction, 282 miles northwest of Watson Lake, 109 miles from Skagway and 396 miles from Tok, AK.
Tourism Yukon, Box 2703, Whitehorse, YT Y1A 2C6; phone (867) 667-5340. Tourism Dept. City of Whitehorse, 2121 Second Ave., Whitehorse, YT Y1A 1C2; phone (867) 668-8687; email; www.visitwhitehorse.com
|Whitehorse began as the northern terminus of the White Pass & Yukon Route railway from Skagway, AK, which was completed in July 1900. Klondike stampeders landed at Whitehorse to dry out and repack their supplies after running the Whitehorse Rapids.
The community grew as a transportation centre and transshipment point for freight from the WP&YR railroad and the sternwheelers plying the Yukon River to Dawson City. Whitehorse was one of the largest construction camps on the Alaska Highway in 1942. When the Alaska Highway opened to civilian travel after WWII, mining and tourism had a profound effect on the economy of the region.
Whitehorse became capital of the Yukon Territory (replacing Dawson City in that role) on March 31, 1953. Today, Whitehorse serves as the centre for transportation, communications and supplies for Yukon Territory and the Northwest Territories. More than two-thirds of the population of Yukon Territory live in Whitehorse.
As a major metropolitan area, Whitehorse offers complete visitor services. For choices in accommodations, campgrounds, dining, shopping and other services, search our Travel Directory. Whitehorse has hotels/motels, bed-and-breakfasts, campgrounds, major-chain restaurants and fast-foot outlets, shopping and "big box" stores, supermarkets, garages and gas stations, churches, movie houses and beauty salons. Whitehorse also has several banks with ATMs.
Tent camping is available in Whitehorse at Robert Service Park on Robert Service Way. RV and tent camping are available at several campgrounds on the Alaska Highway: Hi Country RV Park, Mountain Ridge RV Park, Pioneer RV Park, Caribou RV Park and Wolf Creek Yukon government campground.