Pelly Crossing is located on the Klondike Highway at the Pelly River bridge. It is 175 miles north of Whitehorse and 155 miles south of Dawson City.
This Selkirk First Nation community was established as a ferry crossing and highway construction camp when the Klondike Highway from Whitehorse to Dawson City was built in 1950. With completion of the Pelly River bridge and the road to Dawson City, sternwheeler traffic on the Yukon River came to a halt. Fort Selkirk, located near the confluence of the Pelly and Yukon rivers, was virtually abandoned. The Selkirk First Nation moved from Fort Selkirk to Minto before settling at Pelly Crossing. Today, the restored Fort Selkirk is a favorite stop for Yukon River travelers. The local economy is based on hunting, trapping, fishing and guiding. There is a school, curling rink, baseball field, swimming pool, church, youth centre and laundromat.