Dawson City is located on the Yukon River, approximately 330 miles north of Whitehorse via the Klondike Highway and 185 miles from Tok, AK, via the Taylor and Top of the World Highways (the Klondike Loop).
Visitor Information: Tourism Yukon/Parks Canada Visitor Center on Front and King Streets, open May–Sept.; Klondike Visitors Association at www.dawsoncity.ca.
|Dawson City sits at the confluence of the Klondike and Yukon rivers, at what was once a summer fish camp of the Tr’ondek Hwech’in people. With the discovery of gold in 1896, and the succeeding gold rush of 1897-98, the town’s population boomed. Dawson City became Yukon’s first capital, when the Yukon became a separate territory in 1898. But by 1953, Whitehorse—on the railway and the highway, and with a large airport—was so much the hub of activity that the federal government moved the capital there. Dawson City was declared a national historic site in the early 1960s. Parks Canada offers an interpretive program for visitors to this historic city, including walking tours of the town.
Dawson City offers lodging at accommodations at modern hotels/motels, cabins and bed-and-breakfasts; dining at cafes and restaurants; souvenir stores and hair salon. Refer to our Travel Directory for these services. Camping at Gold Rush Campground RV Park, Dawson City RV Park & Campground and Bonanaza Gold RV Park. The community has gas stations, a bank, ATM, laundromats with showers, grocery stores, general stores, churches and a post office. A free government ferry, the George Black, carries vehicles across the Yukon River (6- to 7-minute average ferry crossing time) between Dawson City and the start of the Top of the World Highway into Alaska between mid-May and mid-September (depending on river ice).