Fort St. John
Fort St. John is located at Milepost 48 of the Alaska Highway, 47 miles north of Dawson Creek and 236 miles south of Fort Nelson, BC.
|The original Fort St. John was established as Rocky Mountain Fort in 1794, making Fort St. John the oldest white settlement in mainland British Columbia. In 1942, Fort St. John became field headquarters for U.S. Army troops and civilian engineers working on construction of the Alaska Highway in the eastern sector. An immense natural oil and gas field discovered in 1955 made Fort St. John the oil capital of British Columbia.
Today, Fort St. John’s booming economy is based primarily on oil and gas, agriculture, forestry, tourism, hydro-electric power generation, and consumer and public services.