Fort Nelson is located at Historical Mile 300 of the Alaska Highway, 283 miles north of Dawson Creek, BC, and 330 miles southeast of Watson Lake, YT.
|Fort Nelson was established in 1805 by the North West Fur Trading Co. The current town site occupies what was the fifth fort site established by the Hudson’s Bay Co. The Canadian government constructed an airport in 1941, as part of the Northwest Air Staging Route. Construction of the Alaska Highway followed in 1942, with about 2,000 soldiers bivouacked in Fort Nelson. The community grew in the 1940s and 1950s as a service centre for regional development and Alaska Highway travelers. Today, forestry, oil and gas are major industries here.
All visitor services are available in Fort Nelson, with lodging at Woodlands Inn & Suites, Ramada Limited (email) and Blue Bell Inn, numerous hotels/motels. Dining at Dan's Neighborhood Pub (phone 250/774-3929), Woodlands Inn & Suites One Restaurant & Lounge, Triple "G" Hideaway campground, and vegetarian cafe at Down to Earth Health Shop. Camping at the Triple "G" Hideaway. There are full-service gas stations; RV repairs and licensed mechanics at Dalex Auto Services. Groceries and supplements at Down to Earth Health Shop. Convenience store and gas/diesel at Blue Bell Inn; laundromats; auto supply stores; and department stores. There are 2 banks, a post office, liquor store, library and several churches.