Fort Macleod is located at the junction of Highways 3 and 2, 103 miles south of Calgary.
Visitor Information: There is a Visitor Information Centre just off of Highway 3.
The original fort, named for Colonel J.F. Macleod, was built in 1874 and was the first outpost of the North West Mounted Police (later the Royal Canadian Mounted Police) in western Canada. The town’s Main Street is Alberta’s only provincially designated historic area. The historic Empress Theatre on Main Street is the oldest continuously operating theatre west of Winnipeg.
|Visitor services in Fort Macleod include dining, lodging, gas stations and camping. The Sunset Motel offers reasonably priced rooms (email).|