Copper Center is located 105 miles north of Valdez on the Richardson Highway.
Copper River was founded in 1896 as a government agriculture experiment station. It was also on the Trail of ’98 used by gold stampeders head for the Klondike and later gold strikes in the Interior. A post office and telegraph station were established here in 1901.
Facilities include accommodations and dining at Copper River Princess Wilderness Lodge. Gas and groceries are available locally. Fishing charters, tackle, riverboat services and guides at Copper River Salmon Charters and Alaska River Wrangellers.